Are you ready for the unexpected?

September 25, 2009

I Am Lord Of My Church

Sometimes I look back at things and evaluate how important they were by the degree to which I remember them. They are indelibly implanted on the front of my brain, a beacon light in my memory that always guides me and draws me back to the true course.

One of those indelible memories is when God spoke to a group of four men, as we were waiting upon Him to guide us in how, when, and where to start a church which we knew undeniably that He called us to start. There were many different things He told us to guide us, many ways that he made the path open up before us. But one time as we prayed and sought His face He drew us to read and contemplate the first chapter of Revelation. Then Jesus said to me and to the other three, “I am Lord of My Church”.

That statement was packed with meaning. Packed! Jesus wanted every decision to be brought before Him. Every desire, every ambition, even every message to be delivered to His people under my care. Every appointment, every relationship, every prayer, every conversation was on His behalf, and empowered and blessed by His Lordship.

Church and ministry simply are not run like a business. That is a mistake too often made -- board decisions, worldly wisdom, corporate strategy, church growth how-to, all blessed by a token prayer. No, people know and sense when their leader is in tune with the mind of Christ.

A pertinent illustration comes from an interesting story in the life of Nathan, prophet of God to the Israel of God (I Samuel 7). King David talks to Nathan and suggests that he would like to build God a temple. Nathan, being a wise man of God, says “Go ahead and do it, whatever you have in mind, for the Lord your God is with you.” As the saying goes, open mouth, insert foot. There is something that trumps even wisdom, and that is a word of God from the very mind of God. God told Nathan to go back to David and tell him, “This is what the Lord says, Are you the one to build me a house to dwell in?....” Thankfully, David was humble enough to accept a “change in itinerary”, and allow God to be King of His kingdom. Likewise, we must not presume to conclude that wisdom is always and ultimately supreme, nor that the desire of our heart, noble as it may be, is necessarily God’s desire.

Jesus is Lord of His church. And He wants to be Lord of our life, too. Thank you, Coach. I want to be on your team. It’s a winner. Your kingdom rocks!

“He is the head of the body, the church… so that in everything he might have the supremacy.”
Colossians 1:18)

“I saw seven golden lampstands, and among the lampstands was someone ‘like a son of man’…. In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword.” (Revelation 1:12-16)

1 comment:

  1. Great encouragement, Dave. Thank you for posting this! When we're busy in ministry, it is easy for us to forget that Jesus is Lord of His Church, not us! And just because I have my plans doesn't mean they are God's.
    Thanks for the reminder to look to the One Who holds the seven stars.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing a comment. Please make it encouraging, enlightening, and helpful. Bless others as God blesses his own.