Are you ready for the unexpected?

January 9, 2018

The Truth Will Set You Free



When a young girl in our ministry was being cut and maimed, her life nearly destroyed, seven different counselors and psychologists could do nothing to help her. I was forced to quit toying with the abstract concept of demons and face them head on.  And when I found myself in spiritual battle with demons I was also forced to quit toying with the possibility of the Holy Spirit still speaking, guiding, and working in power and miracles. It became my reality. And she was set free.

I have changed several Biblical beliefs throughout my lifetime. I was told early on by a very wise friend, “Dave, know what you believe, but hold it lightly.”  I took it to heart. In the case of demons and the Holy Spirit, it was a crisis of belief that forced me to change, while other times it was a long hard look at the facts.

Whenever we think of making changes in our life we usually think of changing habits. But habits may not be the only thing needing change. What about beliefs? Only problem is, though, most of us think that we are never supposed to change our beliefs. It’s taboo -- forbidden. But if you are a Christ-follower, you changed your beliefs somewhere along the way. Once you were lost, self-centered and without hope. But now you have surrendered your heart and life to Jesus.

You may have a problem with the statement, “Know what you believe, but hold it lightly.” Let me say it another way. Throughout our lifetime we learn many, many lessons. Many, many truths. Inevitably, then, as life progresses, we have many, many lessons and truths to unlearn. Why? Because we did not get it right in the first go around. God alone is infallible. Not our cherished beliefs. If you think that you will never have to give up a cherished belief, and never have need to change your opinion, you will be disappointed and deceived. Jesus said, “You will know the truth and the truth will set you free.”

I also changed my belief about end times theology. I came to understand and believe that Jesus will return pre-wrath, not pre-Trib. In fact, I changed my belief drastically, coming to realize that the whole concept of a seven-year Tribulation period is a concocted theory of man, not the revealed truth of the Word. After nearly a life time of research, study and contemplation, I wrote a book about it.  But as I shared the truth, over and over, I discovered that no one in my circles was ever going to change their belief. Like the proverbial saying, “Don’t confuse me with the facts, my mind is made up.”  Old beliefs die hard, even when demonstrably false. If you recall, the earth used to be flat, not round.

Most of our beliefs are handed down to us, or they are shaped by those who taught us. The term for this is indoctrination1.  You may think that beliefs take root in your brain, but they are implanted in your heart as well. They become tied to our emotions. And then they are reinforced by our support group. Hence, change is nigh unto impossible. We deeply fear toying with or changing our beliefs. It’s just wrong. Maybe even heresy2. Most people want to keep an even keel, at all cost. Just maintain the status quo. It is too scary to think of making major changes. Not just scary, but very uncomfortable, too. Like, what would my church friends think? Or my colleagues. 

So then, if I may pass on an important piece of advice, Know what you believe, but hold it lightly. Truth will set you free.

1   That may be why Scripture says, “Not many of you should presume to be teachers…” (Js 3:1)

2   Heresy, though, is to believe the lie, not the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing a comment. Please make it encouraging, enlightening, and helpful. Bless others as God blesses his own.