Are you ready for the unexpected?

December 29, 2017

Yellow Light



The first time I heard the Holy Spirit speak to me it was so moving that I had to pull off the road and sit there for a while. Tears of joy flowed freely because of his affirmation and assurance, while I basked in the warmth of His love. That was back in the days when it was still okay to receive messages while you were driving. I was in the midst of an intense demonic deliverance ministry with a teenage girl, and the only help and support I could find was from outside the church.  Everyone in the church was belittling, even mocking of the effort. I was discouraged, to say the least. And God said to me, “I called you, and you alone, to help. Don’t expect anyone else to understand.”

My theology about the Holy Spirit changed. As I grew up in the church, and eventually seminary, I was well indoctrinated that the Holy Spirit no longer spoke to individuals today. “Sign gifts”, I was taught, including God speaking to individuals, ended with the conclusion of the apostolic age and the completion of the New Testament writings. But another wise friend set the stage for me when he counseled me, “Dave, you need to know what you believe, and why you believe it, but hold it loosely.” Fortunately, this was one of the times when my mistaken theology came into the light of truth.

Since that time I have continued to hear the voice of God speak to me, usually a still small voice like what Elijah heard, or a dream in the night like countless saints in the Scriptures. Call it a word of knowledge, or word of wisdom, or even prophecy, his messages to me are strategic for ministry, enlightening in times of confusion, and always a source of encouragement. I liken it to hiking up a stream to a cave in the mountain side, where the source of living water flows, and sitting on the tailgate of a bright red 1954 Ford pickup, talking with the keeper of the spring.

Now here’s the catch, the bug in the ointment. There are many Christians who say, “God spoke to me and told me this.” I am all for the fact that the Holy Spirit is poured out on all believers (Acts 2:18), but sometimes I am not sure whether to trust that person’s statement. I have a good friend who always says that a red light comes on for him whenever someone says that they heard God speak to them. Funny thing is, he usually says that whenever I mention that God told me something. He is like I used to be, entrapped in the teaching of his youth, unable to change. I heard him say this so often that it made me assess my acceptance and reaction to other Christians claiming to have heard God speak. How do I respond?

When I first began to associate with Holy Spirit led believers I was excited to hear the message that God had given them. I was green light, all the way.  But after a few sour experiences, watching believers try to accuse, or persuade, or control, or deflect, all in the name of hearing from God, I now use the yellow light. The yellow light allows for me to listen and evaluate, to test, to question, rather than presume. The yellow light leaves room for faith and agreement, in due time (I Thes 5:19-22).

There have always been false prophets, lots of them, and God always warns about listening to them. So, I take that serious. Even with friends who I would normally trust, the yellow light is important. But I would never suggest that the best way to keep from being deceived is merely and only to trust Scripture and wisdom. Oh my, and miss out on the fellowship and guidance of the very person of God in me, the Holy Spirit (John 16:13). Or squelch the joy of God speaking to another. No, no, no. Furthermore, I know, and I believe that God could speak to someone else with a message for me. You know why? Because I have seen too many believers become so full of pride that they are misled and spouting off messages from God, deceiving themselves and others. It’s a sham, and it’s a shame. And I never want to become one of those, deceiving myself by thinking that what God says to me is the only message to be trusted.

Got that? Don’t be deceived! But don’t be red light, either. Yellow light is good for me.

Thank you, God, for giving your son, Jesus. Your love is amazing. Thank you, too, for sending the Holy Spirit, the Helper, to abide in me as I walk in your love.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent viewpoint. My husband hears God speak to him also. I believe that if God spoke to people in the Bible, he can still speak to us today. I believe that we limit the Holy Spirit by our small view of his power and ability in our lives.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing a comment. Please make it encouraging, enlightening, and helpful. Bless others as God blesses his own.