Are you ready for the unexpected?

December 11, 2018

Understanding Scripture


“If you believe everything your denomination tells you to believe then you are not thinking on your own.” That’s a favorite quote from my good friend who served as a worship pastor in a Foursquare Church for several years. He would elaborate, saying, “I am probably about a two and a half square if you add it up.”

I recently heard another pastor say in his sermon, “Don’t just believe everything you read others say about a Bible passage, learn to read and interpret the meaning on your own.”  That statement is absolutely true. But the funny thing about it was that the majority of his sermons are quotes from two or three commentators, with very little personal contemplation and understanding nor heart felt reflection. He himself parrots what he reads and falls right in line with the Bible commentators who reflect the theological bent that has been handed down to him.

I would hasten to admit that it is sometimes difficult to read the Bible and understand its meaning on your own. It takes some basic knowledge and some effort. Even then, it may be frustratingly difficult. A good study Bible may be helpful, but it becomes very tempting to trust the interpretative notes at the bottom of the page as much or more than the Word of God at the top of the page. Using the cross references in most study Bibles allows the reader to look at the whole of God’s Word and let the Bible interpret the Bible. But this takes time and research. Looking in multiple translations, even some modern translations, is very helpful to understand the Bible passages. Perhaps the greatest assistance we have is the Holy Spirit himself. We are not well adapted to reading, researching, and ruminating the meaning of Bible stories and teachings, allowing the Holy Spirt to teach and lead us into understanding. It is just too easy in our instant gratification culture to pick up a book and see what someone else has to say.

I admit, none of us can escape looking to others for help in understanding Scripture. No one is an island of truth unto them self. So, consider this. If you hear a teacher, a preacher, or read an author who shares a doctrinal interpretation other than what you are comfortable with, it may be worth listening to. Avoid jumping on the bandwagon, where it is safe and comfortable. Carefully look beyond the teachers and writers who are merely parroting each other.

Let me give an example from the medical field. I recently developed a very painful shoulder, a sharp pain that effected my work and my sleep. The Holy Spirit woke me up in the middle of the night and told me, “You have crystals in your shoulder.” So, I did some research online to see if this could be true and what I could learn about the condition. I must have read about five or six different medical webpages. They all echoed and parroted the very same thing. Sometimes they even copied each other verbatim. I finally found one webpage, not a mainline website, where they went into greater depth about the symptoms and gave personal testimonies from different cases. I learned so much. I said to myself, that’s exactly what I am experiencing, and none of the others even mentioned that symptom. Then I went to the doctor to see if I could get any help. Unfortunately, “pseudogout” is an unusual condition and difficult to diagnose, so the doctor had to look for professional help, online. As he talked to me about the condition, I could hear all the websites I had read. He merely parroted what the others had said, each of them a mere copy of one another.

We do the same in theology and pastoral ministry. Teachers and pastors are entrusted with an incredible responsibility (James 3:1). But most merely serve as a repeater. Very little original or personal transmission of truth ever occurs. God help us. How can the Holy Spirit compete with Calvin, Scofield, McArthur, Wiersbe, and a host of other Bible commentators who we have made almost infallible?

Dear God, we set our hearts to know your Son, Jesus, to be set free by truth, and to live in your love.

1 comment:

  1. I like are article. It is right on. My Bible study leader always instructs us to not go to commentates or study Bibles, but to let the Holy Spirit guide our understanding of the passage. With so many study helps available to us, this is hard to do.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing a comment. Please make it encouraging, enlightening, and helpful. Bless others as God blesses his own.