Are you ready for the unexpected?

December 29, 2012

Listen, My Son

What she would say to her son tonight had been rehearsed in her heart and mind for many years. Over and over, word for word, she had pondered every event, every conversation, every response. He was now eight years old, and he was beginning to ask questions she could no longer gloss over.

The evening started like most. The younger boys were put to bed. Father, too, was sound asleep after a long hard day hewing timbers. They trimmed the lamp brightly, and rolled out a scroll to read. She had to beg the Rabbi to borrow a different scroll every few weeks. The scroll they were reading together this night was the writing of the great prophet, Isaiah.

The boy began to read. "A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse, from his roots a branch will bear fruit." Mother reached over and put her hand on her son's hand and moved it to cover the scroll. He turned slowly to look into her eyes, anticipating full well the importance of what was to transpire. They turned to face each other and she held his precious little hands.

She began. "Listen, my son. So many things that you read are written about you. You have begun to suspect this, to realize it. Your questions clearly tell me that God's Spirit is revealing much to you already. I want to help explain. You are the one prophesied who would come from the root of Jesse. Joseph is not your real father. Your father is God. Jehovah. Yes, the God of our fathers, the great God of all eternity. I know this is difficult to understand, but I was a virgin when you were conceived. An angel from the Lord came to me to explain that you would be Emmanuel, God with us. He told me to name you Jesus. The angel also came to Joseph and told him to take me as his wife and to be your earthly father. The angel told him, also, to name you Jesus. Your name means Savior. It is through you, Jesus, that God intends to save his people from sin. I do not understand how, but your Father will show you in time".

"It confuses me that none of the religious leaders know or understand that you are the Christ. When the shepherds came to the manger on the night you were born they told us that the angels had said you would bring peace, and joy, and salvation to God's people. We thought that they would be only the first of many who would celebrate and rejoice at the coming of Messiah. When we presented you at the temple, though, only two people, Anna and Simeon, knew that you were God's son. Neither of them were of prominent stature, but their words were from heaven. They both confirmed that you are the redeemer, the savior, and a light to the Gentiles."

"Jesus, I have pondered all these things for years. Humbly I have come to the conclusion that I do not understand God's ways. But this much I do think I understand. You were born out of love. Indescribable love. God created mankind so that he might have a beloved. You are here by his great and loving plan to save us from the sin that keeps us from His great love. As you grow up I know that your Father's great love will become your own His love and your love will become one. And that love will help you to fulfill your Father's eternal plan. Love created man. Love brought you to the manger. Where love will lead you in the years ahead I do not know. Simeon said to me in the temple, though, that many would speak against you, and that my heart would be pierced. I do not understand. But I trust God's love. And you will, too, I know."

Then silence. Their eyes dropped. Heads bowed. After some time Mary took Jesus into her arms. Quietly, she tucked him into his bedroll. Angels stood amazed. The Father smiled upon the young boy, Jesus, His beloved son.

"For God so loved the world that He gave his only beloved son..."

Love changes hearts. Truth changes direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing a comment. Please make it encouraging, enlightening, and helpful. Bless others as God blesses his own.