Are you ready for the unexpected?

March 8, 2010

Missed The Fire Call

The siren went off at 2:00 in the morning. I decided to stay in bed and skip the fire training exercise. I thought Chuck was taking it way too serious to do a training run in the middle of the night. The other guys in my staff cabin got up, threw on their clothes, and jumped on the truck as it passed by. An hour later, when they all came back, I found out I had missed out on a real fire. I missed the most exciting event of the summer.

Our camp, ten miles south of Prescott, Arizona, had a fire truck. And it was on call for the many cabins and the community nearby. We trained once or twice a week to be ready for a call. We would practice shooting a long stream to knock a fire out of the top of trees, or in a building. We practiced with a fine spray to put out brush fires. We practiced holding the nozzle, handling the hoses, manning the truck. One hot afternoon, while tending the truck valves, I decided to open an extra valve on top of the tank to get a drink. The pressure was so great it threw me back, I lost my balance, and had to jump off the top of the truck. The other guys laughed so hard they didn’t even think to check if I was hurt.

They laughed at me again when they go back from that 2:00 fire call. They had actually had the thrill of putting out a house fire. Probably the only time for any of us that we would ever have that opportunity. And I missed it.

I have often thought back to that missed fire call, and let it be a reminder to me to make the most of every opportunity. Both for life’s enjoyment, and for the kingdom of God. Every opportunity. You never know when it may be the only opportunity of your life.

Be very careful, then, how you live – not as unwise, but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is. (Ephesians 5:15-17)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing a comment. Please make it encouraging, enlightening, and helpful. Bless others as God blesses his own.