Are you ready for the unexpected?

March 1, 2010

Like A Child

She took me to the toy aisle and pointed out exactly what she wanted for her birthday. And I took note. She willingly and quietly came along with grandpa to do some grocery shopping. I even let her arrange things in the shopping cart. And she got to pick out the onions.

So I asked her, last thing, if there was anything she wanted in the store before we checked out. She first picked out a little tiny doll figure, then she asked me if she could show me one more thing. Her birthday was in just a few weeks, and she was looking forward to gifts. And what grandpa wouldn’t like to know exactly what his little girl wanted?

How refreshing it was to see the joy, the anticipation, and the humility of wanting and receiving a gift. When we get to be adults we become self-reliant, or we expect to earn everything we receive. Or we feel obligated to give something in return. But little Brianna was elated when she received that toy parrot that wiggled and danced with glee whenever a baby bottle touched its beak.

How do we receive God’s gift of love and grace? Or how about his gift of righteousness and redemption? Are we as humble and trusting as a child? Unpretentious? Full of hope and desire, of joy and satisfaction?

At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 18:1-4)

Not by merit do we impress our heavenly Father. Nor by our “greatness”. Rather He is pleased when we simply and humbly trust Him.

Like a child, I humbly receive your precious love.
Like a child, I rest and trust in your strong embrace.
Like a child, I am who I am in your courts above.
Like a child, my only hope is to live in your grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing a comment. Please make it encouraging, enlightening, and helpful. Bless others as God blesses his own.