Are you ready for the unexpected?

December 25, 2009

Jamal's Story

The city was buzzing. People were running about, all over town. Preparations were being completed for the holy day. In just a short time it would be sundown and everyone would settle in to their homes for the most sacred feast. Jamal was no exception. His sons, their wives, and their children were gathered in his home to celebrate the Passover with him.

As the Passover meal progressed the visiting and the banter were the most enjoyable event of the year. But then it came time to tell the story of the passover in Egypt. Grandpa Jamal told of the salvation of the sons of Jacob when the death angel passed over the land. Jamal took the cup in his hand and everyone around the table became silent. He held the cup for the longest time as he drew them in close and continued the story.

“Listen my sons, Jamal has a story to tell you that you have never heard before. Four days ago the man Jesus rode into our town on a donkey. Many people think he will set free the Jews from Roman bondage. But the priests and rabbis fear him, desperately, and I am afraid they will try to have him killed. But I must tell you about this man. I must tell you the story of this man, Jesus.”

“Over thirty years ago I was helping my father, my uncle and my brothers to shepherd a large flock outside of Bethlehem. We were gathered about the fire telling stories. About the time my uncle quieted us to say the prayers we were overwhelmed with light in the sky above us. An angel came down from the light and came near and spoke to us. He said to us, “Tonight, in the city of David, Bethlehem, a savior is born, he is Christ the Lord. Go look for him, and do not hesitate to bow before him in worship. This will be a sign for you, to help you know the babe. You will find him wrapped in cloths and lying in a feed manger, in a stable.” That angel slowly withdrew from us and a host of angels joined him and they all spoke in anthem, “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom God’s favor rests.”

“They all were anxious to go in to Bethlehem, that very night, to look for the babe. I was the youngest, only fourteen, barely old enough for my father to trust me to watch the herd while they were gone. This much of the story I have already told you. And I have told it to others. In fact, our doctor over in Jericho, Luke, wrote the story down when I told him a few years ago. But this part I have never told anyone. I am afraid that the priests and the teachers would scoff at me. But you must hear it, and you must understand.”

“After my father and brothers left me I sat alone, wondering and marveling. I could not make sense of it. A savior? Worship a baby? The Christ, born in a stable? Then the angel came back. He was dressed in the clothes of a shepherd, this time. But I knew it was him. I knew his face, and I knew his voice. He told me what my father and my brothers were finding. Then he said to me, “This baby is God’s Son, the promised Messiah, Immanuel, spoken by the prophet Isaiah. One day he will come to Zion, he will enter Jerusalem, and he will free his people. But he will not lift a sword. As swords come against him, he will not even speak a word. He will give his life, like one of these lambs, slaughtered for sacrifice. By his death he will redeem. Freedom will be for all people. Most will reject Him, though. They will not recognize the Messiah. They will choose to remain under the law of Moses, forever trying to please God by their own righteousness. They will never know the peace and grace that this baby boy, the Messiah, comes to give.” Then the angel walked away. When my father returned he told me what they had found, and it was just as the angel had told me.”

“I have heard this man Jesus talk, and he does claim to be God’s Son. The preacher, John, out at the Jordan was about to baptize Jesus, and I was there. John said of him, “Behold the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world.” Then a voice from heaven said, “This is my son, whom I love.”

“So I am convinced, I am sure, that Jesus is the Messiah. You must believe my story, and you must believe about Jesus, no matter what anyone else says in the next few days. Messiah was born that night, and we have seen him. He is our Savior.”


Jamal ended his story. He took a sip from the cup. He passed it around the table. One by one, they all took a sip. Then they all bowed in worship. Jamal led them in a prayer of praise for God’s salvation, “This Jesus, may he conquer sin and death, for each of us at this table, and for all who will believe. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing a comment. Please make it encouraging, enlightening, and helpful. Bless others as God blesses his own.