Are you ready for the unexpected?

February 25, 2019

All Theology Has A Bias


“All science has a bias.” My interest was aroused when I read that statement, recently, in a forestry publication. The author was trying to accentuate the differences in viewpoints held by foresters, loggers, environmentalists, and politicians. All profess to be scientific, but all come to differing conclusions due to variations in their starting bias. The writer was trying to urge tree farmers not to back off from the debate and formulation of policies and laws in the forestry industry. But I quickly switched tracks. I applied it to theology. The same is true, “All theology has a bias.”
We all inherit beliefs -- from parents, church, denomination, school, theologians and commentators. And with those beliefs comes an underlying bias, whether we know it or not. Every new truth or opinion then must fit the mold which that bias creates. You cannot think differently, cannot consider otherwise. You cannot even hear statements that do not support your bias. They go sailing right on by.
Jesus told his disciples over and over that he would die and that he would rise again. Over 20 times he told them. But it never ever registered with them They did not expect him to rise from the dead. Jesus’ enemies heard him, but not his disciples. How is that possible? Probably due to a great big huge bias that they held, derived from Daniel’s great prophecies. They believed that the Son of God would rule an eternal kingdom, that “His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will not be destroyed” (Dan 7:14). They did not believe he would die, so they never even heard Jesus say that he would rise again. You see, a bias can be pretty powerful when it’s deeply entrenched.
I want to illustrate further by saying that in my lifetime of study, teaching, ministering and writing, I have changed my beliefs in three significant areas of theology. And I mean change, not just tinker with them.  Those three areas of theology are demons, the Holy Spirit, and end times prophecy. I won’t elaborate my starting point and ending point in these three theologies, because what I want to emphasize is this. If you are willing to scrutinize your beliefs at the very foundational level, you must look at the underlying bias that supports them. When I saw the errors in the underpinnings of some of the doctrines I was taught, then the whole superstructure was suspect. It had to be reconsidered, realigned, completely redefined. In some cases that redefining task took on urgency and moved quickly. Other times it was a slow train moving. But that was fine with me. I would rather arrive at the truth than stay stuck in a bias that I inherited.

To be honest, I may not have moved in the direction of scrutinizing my beliefs if it had not been for events and teaching that God providentially put in front of my face at various times. At those points I was left with a decision – dismiss the providence of God, or dismantle the bias I had inherited. I think that changing our bias in theology requires great sensitivity to the Spirit of God and letting go of the pride and self-assured cockiness that accompanies our bias. A wise mentor said to me when I was much younger, “Know what you believe, but hold it loosely.” I have never forgotten that statement. It may sound like heresy to some, but for me it was wisdom from the mind of God. What do you see in the picture? A rabbit? Don’t be so sure. Maybe it’s a duck.

                                                   
Don’t get me wrong. There is the case for heresy. (Just ask the apostle Paul.) There is a case for pastors and elders protecting the flock from following after false doctrine and false teaching. But when a good portion of the church believes differently than you do, it might be wise to hold back on the attack. They are your brother in the Lord. Love is more powerful even than truth – engage the person, not the debate.

“Our object should not be to have scripture on our side but to be on the side of scripture; and however dear any sentiment may have become by being long entertained, so soon as it is seen to be contrary to the Bible, we must be prepared to abandon it without hesitation."  --  William Symington

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing a comment. Please make it encouraging, enlightening, and helpful. Bless others as God blesses his own.