Are you ready for the unexpected?

October 17, 2018

Kavanaugh and Integrity


Brett Kavanaugh was recently confirmed to the US Supreme Court. It was a process which this nation will not soon forget. The testimony of Dr. Christine Blasey Ford was compelling, and that of Brett Kavanaugh was riveting. The rancor of the senators was so partisan that it lowered the bar of respectability almost below the horizon.

Politics, though, is not my concern. From my perspective, integrity was on display during that process. Or shall I say, the lack of integrity. What I have to say, though, will be viewed in the light of Trump-era politics.  My conservative friends will read this and conclude that I have sold out to the enemy. I am a flaming liberal, or a conservative that just doesn’t understand how important Trump and Kavanaugh are for this country. If not a liberal, then a total ignoramus.

Funny, though, that those who so staunchly believe that this process played out right, they used to be called the “moral majority.” Abortion was the battle cry back then. But incessant lying, hiding behind denials, cavorting and covering it up, sexual abuse, and power-mongering, these are all moral issues as well. These will destroy lives and a nation every bit as much as abortion destroys unborn fetuses.

What if the testimony of Blasey-Ford was real, but just not provable. What if her story, buried deep inside her soul for all those years, was every bit as much an emotional firestorm as that put forth by angry Kavanaugh. If Kavanaugh is fully innocent of his high school age drunken misbehavior and sexual attack, then it is Blasey-Ford whose integrity is to be totally questioned. But that is most likely not the case. I am not alone in coming to that conclusion. Over half the population of the country, and millions upon millions of women, would agree. And also a few brave men who know that the era of sexual abuse and demeaning of women has got to come to an end.

Kavanaugh, being an expert lawyer, calculated the risk, the lack of corroborating evidence after 36 years, and chose the route of total denial. In his mind his entire reputation and lifelong ambition were at stake. The lack of evidence that could prove his guilt, though, does not categorically prove his innocence. Integrity is the issue, remember. There is a huge difference between innocence and unprovable accusations. “Innocent until proven guilty” is a legal phrase. It is not related to integrity.

So here is what I think Kavanaugh should have said before the Senate. “In all honesty, my high school days were out of control. I am embarrassed to have to own up to it. I am so glad that is not who I am now. But what Dr. Blasey-Ford has said about a sexual assault is true (or, may very well be true). I want to apologize to her for all the pain and embarrassment I have brought upon her. It may be more important to this nation, and to my family, that integrity rule the day, than for me to sit on the Supreme Court. If my humble disclosure and apology can bring deep healing to this one woman, and to a nation deeply divided, then I will choose the path less traveled and hopefully help to turn us all back toward the moral high ground.”

Very few people can own up to their moral failures and trust the grace of God, as well as their community, to forgive and restore. King David told the story, himself, about his sordid affair with Bathsheba, when he could have simply had the prophet Nathan put to death, like he did Uriah.  Likewise, Samson told the story about his downfall with Delilah, when he could have easily kept it secret. But in both instances God graciously restored their life and their powerful anointing.

“Create in me a clean heart, oh God… that I may teach transgressors your ways.” (Psalm 51)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing a comment. Please make it encouraging, enlightening, and helpful. Bless others as God blesses his own.