Are you ready for the unexpected?

January 26, 2012

Inculcation

I had to look it up in the dictionary when the Holy Spirit told me the word. It might as well have been in a tongue or a foreign language. But the definition in Webster’s was amply clear, and God’s direction was even clearer. He doesn’t need to say much to get across to me exactly what he wants to tell me. In response to my heartfelt prayer, His wise counsel emanated brightly from just that one word. He’s like that, over and over.

Remember Peter? Mr. Impulsive. Spirit led one moment, self led the next. Full of faith and trust, then he would turn around and fall on his face. Loyal and dedicated one day, but tomorrow found him captive to fear. When it comes to professionalism and finesse, the north country fisherman rated kind of low. But who else but Peter would you expect to get out of a boat in the midst of a storm and walk to Jesus. Trust came to him so naturally, He was so teachable. He must have been very likeable, too, the life of the party.

Jesus chose Peter. That amazes me. All twelve of his picks amaze me. Every one of them was rough around the edges, unrefined, disenfranchised. He didn’t pick a single millionaire, not one CEO type, not a single Pharisee or religiously trained scholar. Not one of them was “pedigreed”. I wonder how he knew who to pick, who to call and commission to follow him, who would respond and learn, who would be eager and zealous to fulfill His mission. He knew He was going to invest a whole lot of time and effort in twelve guys for a very limited time.

Jesus had to teach his disciples many of the same things, over and over again. They seldom understood at the first hearing. Jesus taught them patiently, and by constant repetition they learned. That is inculcation. Teaching and instilling by persistent repetition. Those broken, needy, disenfranchised men were the only ones Jesus knew could unlearn their old ways and patiently learn the new. They changed. And the world changed, too.

I was ready to give up leading the men’s group a year ago. I was discouraged, defeated, wondering if the effort was worth it. There was so much to change, so much to unlearn, and it seemed to go so slow. That’s when the Holy Spirit spoke to me, “Inculcation”.

This last week I looked around the room of ten guys, and I sat amazed, marveling at the change in their lives over the last several years. Myself included. Each one has their own unique and marvelous story. I call our group the ‘Fellowship of the broken and needy’. That might be what Jesus called his group of guys, too, at first.

“We urge you, brethren, admonish the undisciplined, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with everyone… Faithful is He who calls you, and He also will bring it to pass.” ( I Thes 5:14, 24; NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing a comment. Please make it encouraging, enlightening, and helpful. Bless others as God blesses his own.