Are you ready for the unexpected?

November 15, 2009

Asmodeus

Out of the corner of my eye I noticed the door knob turning. Slowly. Subtly. Stealthily. I was sitting at the dining table, in the room next to the front entry, reading the newspaper. It was 9:30 PM on a Sunday evening. Carol was putting the two girls to bed. We were finally done with a long, busy, fruitful day of ministry. I was ready to relax, to finally slow down and enjoy a few moments catching up on the news.

But the door knob – it was definitely turning. How strange. I slinked over and checked to be sure the deadbolt was locked. It was. But the doorknob was not. That’s why someone outside on the porch could be turning it. But no one had knocked or rang the bell. I was scared to even look out the peephole to see who it was. It took a moment to get my courage up. But I had to. My family was in the house. I had to see what danger lurked.

What I saw was frightening. The girl standing outside my front door was in a definite demonic trance, with a knife in her hand. I could even recognize on her face which demon it was. Asmodeus. The violent one we had confronted earlier in the week. I didn’t know what to do. I had no idea what to expect. Before I could make any plans she slowly backed off the porch and began to shuffle down the sidewalk and around the south side of the house. I yelled for Carol to call the police as quickly as possible. I knew where the demon was taking her. Around to the back of the house where a door enters the garage. I heard the glass shatter and the door open. She was in the garage. Asmodeus was in my garage, and only one more door separated him from my home. The kitchen door entered off the garage. It was deadbolted. I went and leaned against it with all my weight to keep it shut. But with the first kick at the door I knew that nothing was going to stop this situation. Another kick and the door and jamb were both splintered hopelessly. One more kick and she was going to be in the house. But that was when the police cars pulled up in the driveway, sirens blaring.

She backed away from the door and I heard footsteps going back out the garage. I ran outside and directed the police around to the back to help secure the situation. I stood amongst them and yelled to them, explaining the situation, hoping desperately that they would restrain their force and allow her to come out of the trance without hurting her or shooting her. She just stood there and glared, motionless. One officer walked around behind her. She turned (it turned) and glared at him. He backed off. She turned back to face the other four standing with me. The officer in the rear moved in close enough to hit her hand with his club, trying to dislodge the knife. It didn’t even phase her. I could tell they were all very alarmed and very scared.

Fortunately, God was in control. (Although in my naiveté I was really wondering just how much a demon could actually get away with.) At that moment, when the situation could have gotten indescribably out of hand, the demon left her and she fell limp on the ground, weak, almost comatose. The police called her mom to come and get her, to take her to the hospital to check her wrist to see if it was broken. They inspected the house and marveled at the damage a teen-age girl could inflict. They left, amazed and befuddled. I was confused, yet thankful she had remained safe.

The next morning I went down to City Hall to ask for a copy of the police report. The police chief told me that it was the lengthiest, most extensive report he had ever received. I still have the copy, from back in 1983. I saved it in case anyone ever wanted to compare stories. Whatever the demons intended to accomplish that night, I do not know. Fear, I suppose. That is their ace number one deterrent. Bodily harm, I’m not sure. What I did know, though, was this. My faith and courage increased. My fear was conquered. The battle was on.

“You meant evil against me, but God meant it for good.” (Genesis 50:20)


“Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the
Lord your God will be with you.” (Joshua 1:9)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing a comment. Please make it encouraging, enlightening, and helpful. Bless others as God blesses his own.